The final walk-through can be considered one of the most important steps in the process of buying a home. This is where the buyer can confirm whether the apartment is in exactly the same condition as was promised. It is also an opportunity to ensure that the agreed upon repairs, if any, in case of home that was already being occupied, were made as specified.
Sometimes, home buyers, willing to buy an apartment in Kolkata, do not pay enough attention to the final walk-through because they’re too excited about finally closing on a home particularly when it has taken a while to find the right home for them. This may lead to apparently small but long-term problems once the buyer takes ownership.
It is smart to take the walk-through seriously and think things through. So, here is a list of some essential tips for home buyers to help them complete a smooth and effective walk-through.
- A walk-through can lead to the discovery of repairs that have to be made. As such, if you do the walk through on the same day as the closing, you might not have enough time to have the problems resolved.
- Two walk-throughs can take place too. The first walk-through identifies some problems for the buyer, and the second ensures the redressing of those problems.
- Plug a phone in and out of the electrical outlets so that you can ensure that the electricity works. You want to avoid moving in your belongings, only to realize that some of the outlets do not work.
- Sometimes, sellers may be too caught up in moving to their new home that they may forget to remove their household junk. You should take the time to check the attic, under the deck and garage.
- Before completing the final walk-through, be sure to ask for working keys to all the doors, garage openers, alarm codes, and any system or appliance manuals. It is also quite acceptable to ask the seller for copies of receipts for any promised repairs.
- Buyers normally fall in love with a house that is full of belongings, furniture and art. They see it as a welcoming home, and eventually grow a warm feeling.
The journey towards owning a home is usually a long one, filled with ups and downs and lots of excitement. The final walk through is one of the last steps and it needs to be given utmost importance by buyers and sellers alike.